- Played in all 16 games for the second straight season in 2014, starting two at OLB and one at DE. Ranked No. 4 on the team in sacks (4½), tied for No. 5 in QB hits (eight) and No. 6 in pressures (11).
- Has registered one or more tackles in each of the last 29 games (including playoffs).
- Transitioned to a hybrid OLB/DE role in 2013 and was pressed into extended action due to injuries, appearing in more than 660 snaps at OLB. Established personal bests for games played (16), starts (10), tackles (61), solo tackles (39), sacks (five) and INTs (one).
- Appeared in 11 games in 2012, finishing with 18 tackles (10 solo) and ranking second on the team behind LB Clay Matthews with 4½ sacks.
- Was limited to just nine games over the course of his first two seasons, missing all but two games of his rookie campaign with abdominal/shoulder injuries and then suffering a knee sprain in training camp that sidelined him until midseason in 2011.
- Injured his right shoulder in Week 5 and was eventually placed on injured reserve leading into Week 8 in 2010.
Played in 46 games with 23 starts as a four-year letterman for the Boilermakers, with all of the starts coming in his final two seasons…Finished his career with 99 tackles (56 solo), including 26 tackles for a loss, and 13 sacks…Played in a pair of all-star games, the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl, following his senior campaign…Posted several team weightlifting records, including a 510-pound bench press and a 615-pound squat…Graduated with a degree in health and fitness…Senior season (2009): Earned honorable mention All-Big Ten honors from the media…Was a team co-captain…Started all 12 games at LDT…Posted 35 tackles (20 solo) and ranked second on the team with 5½ sacks…Finished third on the team with 11½ tackles for a loss, and added one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries…Matched his career high with two sacks at Michigan (Nov. 7)…Posted a career-high six tackles (four solo) and a game-high 2½ tackles for a loss at Indiana (Nov. 21) in his final college game…Junior season (2008): Played in all 12 games with 11 starts, posting 33 tackles (18 solo)…Ranked second on the team with 5½ sacks and third with 10 tackles for a loss…Established a career high with two sacks among five tackles (four solo) at Northwestern (Oct. 18)…Sophomore season (2007): Played in all 13 games and posted 22 tackles (10 solo)…Added two sacks and 3½ tackles for a loss, along with one pass defensed…Posted the first sack of his career at Toledo (Sept. 1)…Redshirt freshman season (2006): Appeared in nine games as a reserve…Posted nine tackles (eight solo), including one for a loss, and a pass breakup…Missed five games in the middle of the season due to a turf toe injury…Had a season-high three tackles (all solo) and a pass breakup in the Champs Sports Bowl vs. Maryland (Dec. 29).
Given name Michael Jamel Neal…Single…Born in Gary, Ind. …Welcomed the birth of his daughter, Michelle, in March 2014…Father, Michael, was a two-time all-conference DT at Weber State (1986-87), where he played for longtime college head coach Mike Price…His father also went to training camp with the N.Y. Giants in 1988…High school: First-team all-state selection as a senior at Merrillville (Ind.) High…Posted 59 tackles, including 24 for a loss and 12 sacks, along with 20 QB hurries, six passes defensed and a blocked kick that season…Ranked as the No. 29 strongside DE in the nation and the No. 6 player in Indiana by Rivals.com…Registered 49 tackles, including 14 for a loss and four sacks, with three pass breakups and a fumble recovery as a junior…Also played TE…Lettered twice in basketball…Community involvement: Participated in a Q&A session and threw footballs to guests at an event for the Green Bay Traffic Club…Residence: Merrillville, Ind.