1. Tramon Williams vs. Calvin Johnson—Williams shut down Johnson in the Thanksgiving Day game last season, holding Johnson to four catches for a very quiet 49 yards and one after-the-fact touchdown. It was the key to victory for the Packers and will likely be the premier matchup in Sunday’s game at Ford Field.
2. T.J. Lang vs. Cliff Avril—Lang steps in at right tackle for the injured Bryan Bulaga. Avril is the Lions’ top pass rusher and the Lions are likely to focus attention on Lang.
3. Aaron Rodgers vs. Matt Stafford—Only two quarterbacks in the league have thrown for more yards than Stafford, while Rodgers is arguably the best quarterback in the game. If the team that wins the game usually has the quarterback with the better passer rating, then this one should be a head-to-head confrontation between two of the best passers in the game.
4. Packers receivers vs. Lions defensive backs—The Lions’ injuries have been concentrated in their secondary this season. The Packers might be getting Jordy Nelson back in the lineup for this one. The Packers need to press their advantage in this matchup.
5. Erik Walden vs. Gosder Cherilus—With Clay Matthews out of action, all eyes turn to Walden to provide the pass rush the Packers lose with Matthews’ absence. Stafford can’t be allowed all day to find a receiver. Additional coverage - Nov. 16